Welcome to the MMOLEARN.COM

Build your first Dropshipping, Online Course, Affiliate, Blog, Business, Optin, etc, WEBSITE and make money with us. We offer over 10.000+ Wordpress Plugins & Themes which will let you build ANYTHING. Plus we have nice community which likes to gossip about building websites and making some money online! Its really easy to do when we have everything you need to BUILD anything you WANT. Hope you enjoy your stay and have a beautiful day with us!

or Register

SEO Search engine optimization 101

Bahadur

VIP MEMBER
Reaction score
If you need an SEO consultant, you might look in the BST services threads for someone more qualified than me. In fact, I frequently use the BST forums to make service purchases. I've found that the sellers on mmo are some of the best in the world if you do your research before choosing a service provider.

Instead of responding to private messages, I'll just create this thread from now on.

Search engine optimization 101:

Keep in mind that Search Engine Optimization isn't a quick fix. It's crucial, but you can only optimize as best you can because nobody knows the specific algorithms used by the SEs. When creating a new website, there are a few things that you should always include. Don't worry too much about getting it all right; instead, focus on making sure you're actually making progress toward your goals.

Give careful consideration to the title, description, and keywords you use in your meta tags. The keywords meta-tag isn't as crucial as everyone else seems to make it out to be, but it does help me keep track of the various keywords I use. When you have multiple websites, it helps to keep as many reminders as possible. It's possible that when revisiting a previously worked-on site, you won't recall your previous train of thought. You can use the metatags to keep track of your site's data just as the SE can. A good rule of thumb is to use and use correctly anything that won't hurt you for SEO but might help. Make sure to use the title meta-tag, and aim to incorporate keywords therein. Use the description meta-tag, as this is what Google will typically use as the summary to display in the search results. Write it like you're talking to people and not a search engine; that's what will get people to click on your link in the search engine results page. Don't make the mistake of using the same metatags for every page. Spend the effort to make them unique for each page.

Make compelling content. Make sure the content is good. The original purpose of the internet was to disseminate content. All the work you put into SEO and backlinking will be for naught if your content isn't original and compelling. If you give the people what they want and tell them where to find it, they will come. If it's any good, word of mouth will spread and new users will sign up on their own because they like what they've found. The basic concept is the same. Therefore, always go for maximum quality in both page layout and content. If you have duplicate content on multiple pages of your site, the search engine will likely punish you.

Your content is the whole point of your site, not just something to make Google happy. What will convince site visitors to take the action you desire is the content and the organization of that content. If it's not good, people won't stick around, and almost none of them will leave by clicking on your AdSense or affiliate link. (Yes, of course, if you're up to no good, you can direct the browser to do whatever you want; however, that's a topic for another time.)

Put your keywords in there. Try to have a keyword density of around 2% in the content, and maybe 4% for the whole page including the metatags, alt tags, anchors, etc., and organize your content properly by using a few title headers in the content that include keywords (use header tags h1, h2, etc.).

Verify the integrity of your.htaccess file. Choose a slant and stick with it for your url. If you go the www route, stick with it throughout all of your links; don't mix and match. When possible, I use a 301 redirect to reroute users from www to non-www urls. If you don't do that, Google may interpret every page on your site as duplicate content. It's not the end of the world if that's the only problem with your site, and fixing it is a breeze. Do a search, there are plenty of other threads explaining how to set up a redirect in your.htaccess file. If you can't locate it here, try searching the web. Apples only.htaccess, too if you're using an Apache server; Windows servers handle this slightly differently; if this describes your situation, search Google for instructions. If your linking is consistent, the redirect won't be necessary unless you start receiving unintentional backlinks from other sites. If you use Google Tools, it's important to indicate whether you prefer the www or the non-www version. (If you don't already have one, you should definitely create one so you can access webmaster tools and analytics.)

The robots will cause file not found errors on your server unless you create a robots.txt file and add a favicon. Make sure your robots.txt is set up properly. Generating a personalized "page not found" error message is simple. Make a sitemap.xml file if your site has more than a few pages. Sitemaps are useful because they tell search engine crawlers exactly how to navigate your site. If you need help with any of these things and don't know how to do them, a quick Google search will get detailed guides.

There isn't much else you can do for on-site SEO, really. People usually picture on-site SEO when they think of SEO, but that's just the simple and quick part. Stop procrastinating and get to work.

Everything else, including link building and advertising, falls under "off-site" SEO.
You should direct your attention here. If there is a silver bullet, it would be here.

Start building your link profile with social bookmarks, directory submissions, profile links, and blog comments. Buying these links from a service is not a bad idea. Although simple to create, they are most effective when posted from numerous accounts and IP addresses. To get a feel for the process, it's recommended to do some of it yourself at first, before outsourcing the work in larger quantities. You need many links, but too many will hurt your rankings. You can learn more about how an unnatural appearance can result from rapid construction by doing some online research. It's up to your best judgment to decide how many and how quickly to move. Don't rush into complex linkbuilding strategies before you gain some experience. While linkwheels and similar link structures have the potential to boost your site's rankings, improper implementation can have the opposite effect.

Make use of keyword anchor text and title/alt tags on your backlinks whenever possible. Avoid overusing the same anchors; instead, switch things up by using three or four distinct keywords and even a few anchors that aren't keywords. You want it to appear as though many different people have taken an interest in your site, so you need to make the links look as though they were generated by a random number generator. The goal of any backlinking strategy should be to mimic the organic growth of a site. If you are successful, the SEs will place you highly in their rankings, bringing your simulated reality one step closer to fruition. The goal is, of course, to increase visitors.

Anchor text replacement is in order. The point of backlinking is to give the impression that increasing numbers of people are curious about your site. In order to appear natural, there should be an element of randomness to it. I've seen some fabricated numbers about what works best, but I'd say 45% primary keywords, 35% secondary keywords, 15% something completely unrelated like "Click Here," and 5% just the url is about right. It's not crucial that the percentage be precise, but it should appear natural.

Build keyword-rich articles, embed them with relevant backlinks using those keywords as anchor text, and send them off to article directories. The majority of article directories are trustworthy resources, so submitting an article to one will increase your site's authority and traffic. The next step is to open accounts on various online platforms like forums, social media sites, and blogs. Always remember to add a link back to your site when doing so, increasing the number of backlinks you receive.

That stats the matter. Yes, in a way.
Check your analytics again to see which keywords are bringing in the most visitors, do some light data analysis, and make any necessary changes to your content, tags, and anchor text for inbound links.

Maintain your network. Keep in mind that your goal is to trick the SE into thinking that your site is more popular than it actually is. When this occurs organically, new links to your site will continually be generated. If you want people to take you seriously, you'll need to adopt the same behavior. Building backlinks is an ongoing process.

So, there you have it. That's search engine optimization 101, right there. Everything else is nuanced and needs to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis for optimal results.

Read the threads in the White Hat SEO forum and do some online research if you have any further inquiries before sending private messages to other members. There is excellent data available, compiled by people far more knowledgeable than I.

Experts in search engine optimization are welcome to elaborate, and any mistakes they find are fair game for discussion.

I truly hope this is of use to someone. :beerchug:

Landrater

Reaction score
Great compilation of fundamental recommendations. It's great to have all of them consolidated in one place for beginners. I would like to contribute a few additional points.

Take the time to peruse the Google blogs. They provide a wealth of basic advice and occasionally offer insights into the inner workings of the search engine. Moreover, they can help dispel common myths that circulate within our community.

I want to emphasize your statement regarding meta keywords by providing an official statement from Google on the matter: http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2009/09/google-does-not-use-keywords-meta-tag.html. It is important not to excessively overload your content with keywords, as Google considers this practice as a potential indication of spam. While other search engines may still use meta keywords, Google does not. I have confirmed this information with a reliable source on the search quality team at Google.

The optimization regarding the use of "www" or "non-www" is not specifically targeted at Google. Google recognizes that, in most cases, both versions are essentially the same and does not penalize the usage of either as duplicate content. However, removing the "www" prefix might slightly improve the performance for other search engines. I highly recommend closely following the advice provided in the following resource: http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2008/09/demystifying-duplicate-content-penalty.html

I cannot stress enough the importance of having webmaster tools and analytics accounts. These tools are crucial for understanding your website's performance, identifying areas for improvement, and being alerted to potential issues. It is recommended to have both accounts, even if your site follows black hat techniques. While it is commendable if you have the skills to analyze your traffic without these tools, having them adds credibility to your site since most legitimate webmasters use them.

Take the time to educate yourself about "nofollow" and "dofollow" links. It's easy to get carried away with the idea of spreading your links all over the web, but in most cases, "nofollow" links do not contribute significantly to your search engine ranking. (While some people may disagree with this notion, I believe they have not conducted their own experiments to validate their claims.)

Thank you for sharing the resource on classic PageRank and providing additional insights into ranking and the use of "nofollow" links. The article you mentioned, http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/pagerank-sculpting/, serves as a valuable introduction to the concept of PageRank and offers further helpful hints.

It is crucial not to become overly fixated on PageRank numbers. They should be regarded merely as a rough guide and, based on conversations with Google engineers, are not a significant factor in their ranking algorithm these days. Instead, focus on ensuring the relevancy of your content. If your site is highly relevant to a particular query, it will rank better than less relevant sites with higher PageRank.

When building external backlinks, it's important to consider the authority of the linking site. Websites that are highly ranked themselves carry more weight when it comes to outgoing links. Pages with a lower number of outgoing links also hold more significance. While there may be differing opinions on how the ranking of a root site influences its linked pages, many experts, including myself, believe that the weight of an person page is the most important factor in determining the value of an outgoing link. Consequently, links such as profile links or those placed at the bottom of forum posts carry very little weight unless the profile or forum post itself is relevant to the topic. This is precisely why having 15 well-placed "dofollow" links from authoritative pages can have a greater impact on a page's ranking compared to a similar page with 200,000 spammy links from forums.

Lunatoury

Reaction score
Great compilation of fundamental recommendations. It's great to have all of them consolidated in one place for beginners. I would like to contribute a few additional points.

Take the time to peruse the Google blogs. They provide a wealth of basic advice and occasionally offer insights into the inner workings of the search engine. Moreover, they can help dispel common myths that circulate within our community.

I want to emphasize your statement regarding meta keywords by providing an official statement from Google on the matter: http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2009/09/google-does-not-use-keywords-meta-tag.html. It is important not to excessively overload your content with keywords, as Google considers this practice as a potential indication of spam. While other search engines may still use meta keywords, Google does not. I have confirmed this information with a reliable source on the search quality team at Google.

The optimization regarding the use of "www" or "non-www" is not specifically targeted at Google. Google recognizes that, in most cases, both versions are essentially the same and does not penalize the usage of either as duplicate content. However, removing the "www" prefix might slightly improve the performance for other search engines. I highly recommend closely following the advice provided in the following resource: http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2008/09/demystifying-duplicate-content-penalty.html

I cannot stress enough the importance of having webmaster tools and analytics accounts. These tools are crucial for understanding your website's performance, identifying areas for improvement, and being alerted to potential issues. It is recommended to have both accounts, even if your site follows black hat techniques. While it is commendable if you have the skills to analyze your traffic without these tools, having them adds credibility to your site since most legitimate webmasters use them.

Take the time to educate yourself about "nofollow" and "dofollow" links. It's easy to get carried away with the idea of spreading your links all over the web, but in most cases, "nofollow" links do not contribute significantly to your search engine ranking. (While some people may disagree with this notion, I believe they have not conducted their own experiments to validate their claims.)

Thank you for sharing the resource on classic PageRank and providing additional insights into ranking and the use of "nofollow" links. The article you mentioned, http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/pagerank-sculpting/, serves as a valuable introduction to the concept of PageRank and offers further helpful hints.

It is crucial not to become overly fixated on PageRank numbers. They should be regarded merely as a rough guide and, based on conversations with Google engineers, are not a significant factor in their ranking algorithm these days. Instead, focus on ensuring the relevancy of your content. If your site is highly relevant to a particular query, it will rank better than less relevant sites with higher PageRank.

When building external backlinks, it's important to consider the authority of the linking site. Websites that are highly ranked themselves carry more weight when it comes to outgoing links. Pages with a lower number of outgoing links also hold more significance. While there may be differing opinions on how the ranking of a root site influences its linked pages, many experts, including myself, believe that the weight of an person page is the most important factor in determining the value of an outgoing link. Consequently, links such as profile links or those placed at the bottom of forum posts carry very little weight unless the profile or forum post itself is relevant to the topic. This is precisely why having 15 well-placed "dofollow" links from authoritative pages can have a greater impact on a page's ranking compared to a similar page with 200,000 spammy links from forums.
Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your acknowledgement that the topic of PageRank is more extensive and often misunderstood. Many people hold misconceptions about what PageRank represents, its purpose, its usage, and how to acquire it. I'm glad the summary I provided captures the essence of the concept and its relevance accurately.

Top Bottom